Five time Olympian Graham Bell revealed some of his top tips for ski fitness at Profeet on Wednesday night.
- Use a mix of training to prepare different muscles and avoid or isolate injuries. Triathlon is a great option for this.
- If your knees are giving you trouble, then go for a swim. If there’s a problem with your shoulder, you can go for a run. There’s no excuse for not training at all!
- Cardio work is valuable as well, but it’s all about ‘little and often’ rather than a marathon session every once in a while
- You should mix up long, slow endurance work – running or cycling – with high intensity sessions such as sprinting. Overall you will build endurance, burn fat and improve aerobic capacity
- Many people train too hard – and are consequently not in the right zone for building endurance.
- You don’t have to use all the machines in the gym, find one or two you like and stick to them!
- ‘Slow’ means being able to have a conversation whilst training.
- ‘Long’ depends on the sport but for example running might be from 45 minutes or more and cycling 90 minutes or more.