Skiing is vigorous exercise and physical preparation for your ski holiday is very important. It will help enhance your ski experience and maximise your time on the slopes. If you suffer from muscular tightness in your legs and feet, standing in a flexed ski stance all day long will only exert extra stress on these muscles.
We have compiled the following stretches to help improve flexibility in the main muscle groups used when skiing.
Ski Fitness: Strength & Conditioning
A good level of cardiovascular fitness and strength will allow you to get the most out of your ski day. The following exercises work the key muscle groups used when skiing and will ensure you are fully prepared for your holiday.
5. Hip Abduction: Walking Sideways
- Stand with resistive band around ankles or feet
- Step to side and raise foot off the floor
- Pause and slowly lower leg and lift other side
- Slowly bring the legs back together to take tension off the band then lower foot to floor
- Now step to the side again
- Avoid leaning over to the side to perform hip movement
- REPS 10 | SETS 3
These exercises are designed to specifically focus on your skiing muscles and can be used in addition to your usual routine.
If you are unsure about these exercises or experience any discomfort or pain, please consult a professional